This workshop introduces you to the relaxing world of hand embroidery and is suitable for everyone who can thread a needle. Learn and practice some basic stitches and use them to create a modern sampler based on your initials. During this two hour Zoom workshop Nicky will teach you a variety of line based and texture stitches. Different types of thread and fabric will also be discussed, and examples given of how just a handful of basic stitches can create sophisticated textile artwork.
Please note that we shall be approaching this workshop from a Textile Art point of view rather than a City and Guilds basis (there may be knots tied at the end of threads and we will only be concerned with what the back of the work looks like if we decide that it is more interesting than the front!).
What you need: Please also see class access information and the list of tools below...
- One or more hand embroidery needles (sizes 7 to 9)
- A skein of stranded cotton embroidery floss (DMC or Anchor are recommended brands and easy to source) in a colour you would like to work with. Choose something that will show up on your fabric (see below). Any additional colours will add interest to your sampler but are not essential
- A piece of cotton or linen material to work on. I would encourage you to repurpose an old shirt, pillowcase, tablecloth, dress fabric, lightweight jeans etc. A light colour is probably easier to work with (if you have patterned fabric you might want to use the back of it). If you would like to buy something specifically for the workshop then I recommend a small piece of medium weight, unbleached cotton calico. You can also buy packets of natural linen for embroidery purposes which are lovely to work on
- A pair of scissors for snipping thread and a pencil or pen (felt tip or biro is fine) for drawing the design onto your fabric
- Any small pieces of knitting wool, thin string or thicker threads that you might have in your craft stash for couching (not essential)
- A 7 or 8 inch embroidery hoop would be useful but not essential.
Tutor: Nicky Barfoot
Nicky Barfoot is a mixed media artist and tutor based on the South Coast of England. Brought up in a creative household, knitting, stitching, drawing and painting have always been her passions. Nicky’s designs have won a number of accolades including both Silver and Gold in consecutive years of the UK Knitted Textile Awards. Her work has been featured in national knitting and stitching magazines, and she has exhibited her Textile art at the Knitting and Stitching Shows in Harrogate and London.
Nicky has a Foundation Degree in Stitched Textiles, a City and Guilds in Hand Knit Design, a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design and she has designed embroidery kits for DMC. Her accessible patterns and workshops are intended to delight makers of all levels through the use of simple techniques to maximum effect.
Date: Saturday 8 May, 10am - 12noon
Book your space on Online: Get started with hand embroidery at Hampshire Cultural Trust's Ashcroft Arts Centre, Fareham now!
Class access information
This class will run live via Zoom, an online streaming website. Zoom is an online platform which allows you to talk live to your tutor and classmates via a video or audio call. As this class is live, you will need to be available at the time specified to participate.
To access your class you will need access to a device with an internet connection and speakers – a computer, laptop, phone or tablet should do the job. If you would like to be able to talk with your tutor via audio your device will also need a microphone. If you would like to speak with your tutor via video your device will also need a camera.
Prior to the start date of your class our team will be in touch via email. We will also send you detailed instructions via email to help you log into your online class. We will have a member of our team on standby to assist you with any issues you may have accessing your class. Simply email us at email@example.com if you need help.